In February, my husband wrapped up his master's degree in preparation for an instructor position at West Point and we all moved to Fort Rucker, AL for a three month stint at the Fixed Wing Course. The rest of the families stayed back (a couple came to visit), but I didn't want to separate my children from their father. Adeline's already endured a deployment and one deployment is enough! If we can stay together, we stay together, no matter what.
Although it's taken until this weekend to plan our move, we've been discussing it seriously for the last month. In order to make arrangements, we had to first know if we would be living on post and when our potential house would be available in New York. In the usual Army circus style, we still do not have a house or answers. Initially we planned to participate in the "draw." The second week of June, the incoming instructors and personnel are ranked in order of merit and attend a draw where they choose a home that is offered based on their place on the list. In order to avoid the draw, you can arrive at West Point early and receive a home that is currently vacant. We decided that option would be best in order to get our family in a house and avoid hotel living for, potentially, up to two months. We put in our notice at our current rental in order to get up to West Point based on a guarantee that a house would be available in NY. Looooong story short, we were promised a home a couple weeks ago and now we've somehow gone from first to fifth on the waiting list and we will not be offered a home before the draw, most likely.
So, where do we go from here? Run up to West Point and take the chance that a house may appear early out of nowhere? Accept the one they offer without any choices? What if we dislike the house we're given? What if we get up there and nothing is available? Then we do the draw. What if we get a house that isn't offered until July? Do all four of us and our high maintenance dog live in a studio hotel room for one to two months? Do we pay out of pocket for a suite or rent an apartment? Do I go home with the kids until we know something? No, we stay together. Do we drive up to New York with our 17 month old who "dislikes" being strapped into the car? Or, do we save ourselves and fly? But, then I have to fly with two kids by myself. Pass. But, maybe that's better than five days in the car? Do we extend our trip by making detours to see family and friends, or do we get up there as quick as we can? And on and on and on and on and on the questions and scenarios went. Hence, my annual (allotted) military meltdown.
While I was down on the floor, I let myself bask in some sorrow and frustration and then I decided I needed some God. Lord, give me the strength to prepare for this next move. Show us what You would have us do to prepare. God, I know You are working in this situation. Please give me Your perspective and help me to be thankful for this lifestyle and all You've blessed us with. You are in control. With that, I immediately felt better. The tears dried up and I was ready to get back to the move planning with my husband, but not before grabbing a pint of salted dark chocolate ice cream to comfort me! When I sat back down at the table, I expressed my frustrations to Tim and within two minutes of my prayer we decided on a course of action. Tim explained that he had been praying about our move and felt God leading us in one certain direction.